Monday, September 20, 2010

"Pay Attention"

After watching the video "Pay Attention", I realized the students we have nowadays are digital learners who have spent 10,000 hours playing video games, over 10,000 hours talking on cellphones, and roughly 20,000 hours watching TV. Today's children and teens spend 2.75 hours a week using home computers. 70% of American 4-6 year olds have used a computer. After reading these surprising facts about children today, I have to say I definitely feel the challenge of teaching in the future. Will I be able to give what they need? How can I engage them and get them involved in class? In what way are they interested in learning? etc.
As I continued watching the video, I found the answer to my questions--- using technology that our students love to reach and teach more effectively. It was pointed out in the video that teachers could also use cellphones to teach, such as literature, storytelling, spelling bees, class presentations etc.
After all, try to engage them, rather than enrage them.

1 comment:

  1. That is the key, engaging the student, and technology provides some useful tools for doing that.

    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete